Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Photographers


John Plumbe Jr.(1809-57)
  • The reason I find this picture interesting is because I find the way Plumbe manipulated the picture into making look as it were scratched adds plenty of depth to the photo. Also the shape of the White House makes it look really neat. As you can see there are three rectangular shapes separated by the oval shape in the middle with those big pillars.
  • And the fact that he was able to get a photo of the White House during this time period to me is amazing. With everything that was going on to me it kind of shows how Plumbe was thinking. It's kind of like he wants to capture the true meaning of the United States and our new found Declaration and Freedom.
  • An interesting fact about Plumbe is that after he took up photography in 1840 you could go to some of his Daguerreotype Galleries and learn how to take photos or have your own photo taken. But all photos taken in his galleries were credited to Plumbe.
  • Another interesting fact about Plumbe was that he was a huge advocate for the Transcontinental Railroad. He was constantly petitioning Congress and writing to newspapers claiming the need for the railroad. I guess that's why I like this photo too, because it shows his love for the United States and how he wants it to move forward instead of remaining the same like some people did. I am all for change if it betters the States as a whole.
  • And I love history so this photo speaks to me a very positive way

1 comment:

  1. You found a great image to illustrate the post. Terrific summary - exactly what I was hoping for from these blog posts.

    ReplyDelete