Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Web work 2

Platt D. Babbitt







Part A)




Platt D Babbit is widely known for his pictures of Niagra falls. He started making daguerreotypes which was the first photographic process publically announced when previously artists had used the camera obscura where they would mentally trace what they saw. Platt D Babbit took daguerreotypes of the people who were visiting the falls. You see in many photographs taken that it is in the same spot in which he created a pavillion and literally took over the area so no other photographers could come take pictures. This area is now known as prospect point. (Below is a picture taken of Platt D Babbitt’s pavillion).





This american photographer would capture Niagara Falls in its natural state and beauty. This beauty is why it has been written that, he set up this stand and fought off other photographers by waving umbrellas so it prohibited them from taking pictures.




Babbitt wanted to take full control of this natural beauty and I can understand why. There is little known about this artist but we can see the dedication and keen eye to natural beauty. I picked Platt. D Babbitt because while looking at the others I found myself to be kind of bored with what I was seeing. When I came to Babbitt I was refreshed and enjoyed seeing his pictures of Niagra Falls. Although I could only find pictures of the Niagra Falls and nothing else I enjoyed the different sizes of the waves and also seeing the tourists in the pictures looking at the falls. I prefer looking at pictures of nature rather than people in general. I feel that the way he was able to capture the waves in the pictures is absolutely amazing.








Part B)

Information on the Daguerreotype pictures




These are some photos I have come across that I enjoy very much. I can relate these to Platt D Babbitt's photos because its dealing with nature. I love the black and white butterflies with a touch of red. It appeals to me very much. I could not find the photographer of this picture though.






















I love the texture the picture gives off and the beauty of the sea shown in black and white. I feel black and white hold so much depth and make the pictures turn out better.





















I found these two photographs and absolutely loved both of them!!! They are by the same artist but it was posted on a blog so I couldn't tell who it was.I wish I had more information on this artist so I could look at more pictures.




Great Nature Pictures!!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post - thanks for the videos about daguerreotypes - I will be showing them to future classes, good find.

    ReplyDelete