Thursday, February 3, 2011

WEB WORK IV---
Frank Meadow Sutcliffe:

His most famous photo was taken in 1886 called "water rats". In this pic he was trying to bring nude into art. He was as they said"excommunicated" for displaying it because people thought it would corrupt the opposite sex....
I chose Sutcliffe because as i started reading up on him i was fascinated by the fact that most of his best images were photographed of the people whom he lived and worked with. I liked how his father gave him many upscale resources and morally he hated having to "prostitute" his work. Ultimately his decision to work with what he felt more comfortable with paid off in the end. Thus being said i personally admire Sutcliffe for this decision because he chose his passion and was determined to earn his recognition, rather than have it be handed him on a silver platter!!! I also really like how he could capture his subjects in an unposed state knowing how long it actually took to take pics back then. I guess i just really like Sutcliffe for keeping it real, nothing better than that in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Keeping it real - fair enough. It strikes me as taking a lot of courage to make images like the one above, knowing it will ruffle feathers in your community. Not sure I could do it.

    ReplyDelete