Saturday, April 16, 2011

Webwork #2

On Stereoscopes:

Here is a brief history of stereoscopes:

Stereoscopes were first invented in 1832 by Sir Charles Wheatstone and were photography that was meant to literally become three dimensional to the viewer’s eyes. This involved two pictures that were mounted on one end of a “Viewer” while you held the other end. The process was relatively simple two different photographs were mounted one for each eye, the photographs were taken one slightly different to the other to give the viewer the feeling of actually seeing what the camera saw. Around the 1930’s stereoscope usage gradually declined until finally they had all but died out. Finally all that was left of the once grand stereoscopes were children’s toys called “Viewmasters” in which small circular discs were inserted and photographs could be changed by pressing a simple lever.

I believe that stereoscopes were great inventions and were very entertaining to me when I was a boy. I remember having a “Viewmaster” in which I would look at the Disney park and various animals in a zoo. I wish that Stereoscopes would make a comeback and I also wish I knew the exact science behind them so I could recreate it. The first truly three dimensional photographs ever made…The first step towards our new ideas such as three dimensional television. “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” Sir Charles Wheatstone was a genius.



For more about Stereoscopes click on the link here and here.

1 comment: