Tuesday, March 29, 2011

W.W. 8 Gille Peress




I chose to do Gille Peress because I am very much into war and i love how photos can tell a story without actually reading it in a book, even though I don't mid reading history books at all. Peress is a French photojournalist known for is documentation works of war and strife especially the Northern Ireland war with the IRA and Rwanda.
The first photo is of a young mutilated child in Rwanda in 1994. Even though it is a disturbing image I think it is necessary for people to capture these types of photos to show us how worse of the rest of the world is then we are. A famous quote that I like from Peress is "I don't so much anymore about good photography; I am gathering evidence for history." I couldn't agree more with that statement. Although for not caring about good photography it sure seems Peress is doing just fine in that department. To be able to have the stomach and courage to go over to a different country in a time of disparity not knowing what could happen to his own well-being just shows his dedication, and the type of person he is.
The second photo is taken in Northern Ireland when the IRA was hell bent on taking over Ireland with their brutal tactics and very one-minded government control. This was a very brutal time for Ireland and I give props to Peress for even going over there during this time because there is no way in hell I would've been caught in Northern Ireland during that.
I think it's a captivating photo showing the fear of families who are scared to even go outside in fear of being captured or killed on the spot.
Peress is a very meticulous man taking years upon years to document the correct history of what he is doing. That's another reason why I like Peress because he is not in a hurry to just tell a story he actually takes his time checking and making sure his facts are correct. His Northern Ireland project took over 20 years and it is an amazing story I recommend it to anyone interested in the history of Ireland.

1 comment: