Thursday, October 28, 2010

Diane Arbus

Title: Child with toy hand grenade in central park

Artist: Diane Arbus

Medium: Photograph

Year: 1962



Give a brief description of the movement, photographer, or term you researched. How are they significant to the history of photography (50-75 words)?



Diane Arbus was a photographer who took pictures of people that would not be considered normal. She would take pictures of disfigured, midgets, giants, transvestites and other people of that nature. She helped create a revolution on taking pictures of people that would cause huge controversy.



Write a short personal reaction to the movement, photographer or term you researched. What is interesting or not interesting about the work (50 – 75 words).



I find it very amusing that Diane Arbus took pictures of transvestites and other questionable people. I work with people that are mentally handicapped and it is interesting that she would cause such a stir. I also feel that if an artist did this now, it would still cause controversy. From working with the mentally handicapped, I find it hugely uncontroversial because of how full some of these people live. I have seen more enjoyment in the life of someone who is mentally handicapped than most people around me.



Name (please only include if it is ok to publish on blog):



I do not wish my name to be published

No comments:

Post a Comment